Monday, June 18, 2012

sing unto the Lord a new song.

Random Holly fact: Some nights when I'm extremely worn out and I know there would be no chance of retaining information if I read, I look up worship songs to listen to. Tonight I feel like blogging too, therefore...my six readers get a blog :D yay for you guys!
Now...being that this is music, it probably should go on my other blog. BUT this one was started when I was going through a lot and when I really turned back to my faith. So, I think it's only fitting I continue to keep this one Christian based.
I really don't know why I feel the need to explain myself to everyone on MY blog...but anyway.


THANK YOU MY LORD
featuring Haven Sink and Matt Papa

VERSE 1:
Thank You for mercy, thank You for grace
Thank you for dying and taking my place
Thank You my Lord my heart is Yours
Thank You for life, Your first gift to me
Thank you for waking me out of my sleep
Thank You my Lord my heart is Yours

CHORUS:
Thank You my Lord, thank You my Lord
O For a thousand tongues to sing, thank You my Lord

VERSE 2:
Thank You for shelter, thank You for bread
And everything good and perfect from Your hand
Thank You my Lord my heart is Yours
Thank You for trials, thank You for pain
When I am broken blessed be Your name
Thank You my Lord, my heart is Yours

BRIDGE:
For the nails, for the cross, for the crown of thorns
for the pain, for the cost, all my sins you bore
I could never repay this debt of love
but I will live to say

Written by Matt Papa
© 2011 Love Your Enemies Publishing (ASCAP)

This song...oh my goodness. I don't even know where to begin. First of all, thank you LORD for giving Matt Papa the intelligence and capability to write this. Things haven't been going so smoothly since I moved back home. There are definitely bumps and bruises in relationships that need healing. I've been pretty stressed about it, and it's been affecting other relationships. JP got me the cd this is on for my birthday, and I've seriously listened to it at least twice every day. It reminds me that in every situation I should thank God. He knows what He's doing, even when I don't have a clue as to what's going on. It's just so beautifully written. For me, it's more like a prayer than a song. If anyone ever rides in the car with me and this is playing, I go into straight worship mode. Even though there are so many amazing worship songs, there aren't many that make me just want to break down in tears of gratitude. God has been truly awesome to me. He's blessed me and my family in so many ways.
The part that gets me every single time is "When I am broken blessed be Your name". So many times it seems like it would be so easy to give up. But, praise God for the trials! The trials are what naturally bring us closer to Him (for myself, anyway). And it's so worth it to have a closer relationship with Him.
The other part that really gets me is "for the nails, for the cross, for the crown of thorns, for the pain, for the cost, ALL my sins You bore." To know that there is someone out there that loves me THAT much- that He would send His only Son as retribution for my sin amazes me every single time I think about it. To think that someone would be willing to die for me amazes me even more so. Jesus didn't have to die, He didn't have to suffer. But He did. As a guy in my history class said (and I will never forget this)- "Jesus was thinking about you when He was hanging up there on that cross. It wasn't nails that was keeping Him up there- it was love."


And the second one that I really got in to tonight: Jesus, Friend of Sinners by Casting Crowns.

Jesus, friend of sinners, we have strayed so far away
We cut down people in your name but the sword was never ours to swing
Jesus, friend of sinners, the truth's become so hard to see
The world is on their way to You but they're tripping over me
Always looking around but never looking up I'm so double minded
A plank eyed saint with dirty hands and a heart divided

Oh Jesus, friend of sinners
Open our eyes to the world at the end of our pointing fingers
Let our hearts be led by mercy
Help us reach with open hearts and open doors
Oh Jesus, friend of sinners, break our hearts for what breaks yours

Yeah...

Jesus, friend of sinners, the one who's writing in the sand
Made the righteous turn away and the stones fall from their hands
Help us to remember we are all the least of these
Let the memory of Your mercy bring Your people to their knees
Nobody knows what we're for only what we're against when we judge the wounded
What if we put down our signs crossed over the lines and loved like You did

Oh Jesus, friend of sinners
Open our eyes to world at the end of our pointing fingers
Let our hearts be led by mercy
Help us reach with open hearts and open doors
Oh Jesus, friend of sinners, break our hearts for what breaks yours

You love every lost cause; you reach for the outcast
For the leper and the lame; they're the reason that You came
Lord I was that lost cause and I was the outcast
But you died for sinners just like me, a grateful leper at Your feet

'Cause You are good, You are good and Your love endures forever
You are good, You are good and Your love endures forever
You are good, You are good and Your love endures forever
You are good, You are good and Your love endures forever

Oh Jesus, friend of sinners
Open our eyes to world at the end of our pointing fingers
Let our hearts be led by mercy
Help us reach with open hearts and open doors
Oh Jesus, friend of sinners, break our hearts for what breaks Yours

And I was the lost cause and I was the outcast
Yeah...
You died for sinners just like me, a grateful leper at Your feet





THIS is what I want my prayer to be on a daily basis. If you turn on the news there are so many stories about the craziness in the world.
A good example of this is the somewhat recent amendment one controversy. Now, I realize this may offend some people...but (again) it's my blog. A space for my opinions. So please don't leave any nasty comments.
I do not believe in homosexuality. HOWEVER, that's not what I'm going to blog about. Rather, I'm going to talk about how "Christians" go about acting towards people and how it's relevant to this song.

"We cut down people in Your name, but the sword was never ours to swing"-...who are we to judge? I'm not by any means saying we shouldn't stand up for our beliefs. But is it really our duty as Christians to go and tell people what they can and can't do? In Bible times, the apostles didn't try to force people to believe the way they did. They told them what they believed and left it up to them how they felt. Trying to force people to believe in something never has and never will work. After all- if people aren't doing something because someone else decided it for them, it's not from their heart.

"Open our eyes to the world at the end of our pointing fingers"- OUCH. As a Christian, this part seriously got me. Often times, we point at the people we think are doing wrong and are first to criticize them. This isn't how we are to be. Every sin is as great as the next.
"Let our hearts be led by mercy. Help us reach with open hearts and open doors".- How many times have we sinned, yet we're the first to condemn others? I know in my community a lot of people claim Christianity...but I also know most of the churches would have a fit if a gay couple sat in their congregation. The church is FOR sinners. It isn't just a gathering place. If you're already saved, then yes. But how else are we to reach people if we shun them every chance we get? We need to remember the mercy God has shown to us when we've done wrong. He loves us, and in turn we should love the people He created. Even if we don't think what they're doing is right.
And possibly my favorite line- "The world is on their way, but they're tripping over me". I am by no means a perfect person. I've done things I regret. However- I do try my hardest to remember that no one is perfect and God loves EVERYONE, so I should too. I pray I don't make anyone stumble because of things I've done or said.

That turned in to a mini rant(: Sorry for the lengthiness. I've had a lot to say about these events though and just haven't blogged. So- that's what you get(: Again- please don't leave any rude comments. Thanks!


No comments:

Post a Comment